- The Audi A8 comes standard with a supercharged V6 engine that reviewers say is powerful and refined.
- A more powerful twin-turbocharged V8 engine and a W12 engine is available in higher trims, and the high-performance Audi S8 offers even more power.
- A new turbo-diesel V6 engine comes in the long-wheelbase A8L TDI, and test drivers are particularly impressed with the power and fuel economy that the diesel-powered A8L provides.
- An eight-speed automatic transmission comes with all A8 models, and critics agree that it shifts quickly and smoothly.
- The base A8 gets estimated 13.84/8.4 litres/100 kmh for city and highway, which is very good for the class.
- The A8L TDI earns outstanding fuel economy for a super luxury car, at 9.8/6.5 litres per 100 kmh.
- An adaptive air suspension comes standard in the A8, which gives the A8 surprisingly soft handling, as well as a ride that’s comfortable and composed.
- Some reviewers also note that the A8’s driving dynamics are further bolstered by precise steering and the excellent traction provided by the standard all-wheel drive system.
The A8’s cabin is one of the nicest in the class. Reports say that the exceptional build quality and first-rate materials make the interior almost as nice as the pricier Mercedes-Benz S-Class’ interior, and some report that only exotic cars built by Bentley or Rolls-Royce offer accommodations that are more luxurious.
The Audi A8 has comfortable and supportive front seats, as well as a spacious back seat. The A8L has even more space, with an additional back-seat legroom. While many auto writers note that the A8 has less trunk space than most super luxury cars, others are amazed by the A8’s standard high-tech interior features, which include a navigation system that can display Google Earth views and a Bose stereo system with HD and satellite radio, as well as Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity.
Options and features available on higher trims include four-zone automatic climate control, a panoramic sunroof, adaptive cruise control and a Bang & Olufsen sound system.
Summary of Reviews by other automotive experts:
- “With a gorgeous cabin and handling that’s distinctly and gloriously German, the A8 is, from roof to rubber, a class act that succeeds at elevating the driving experience in the large luxury sedan class.” –Edmunds
- “When it comes to feature content, performance and prestige, the A8 holds its own against long-refined rivals like the BMW 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Lexus LS.” — Kelley Blue Book
- “Fire up the A8 L and it performs just like an Audi. It’s a cocoon of comfort with lots of power. It is so quiet that the thrill of the power from the supercharged V6 was the only thing keeping me awake one morning.” –AutoWeek(2013)
- “Compared with the big S-Classes and 7 Series of the world, the A8 feels lithe and more responsive — less of a limousine and more of a sport sedan. That’s to say nothing of the long-wheelbase Audi’s huge amount of rear legroom.” — Motor Trend(2013)